Friday, October 9, 2009

The book arrived already!


It came!
I am soo excited that I absolutely must share this.
I just ordered my copy of The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-Sufficient Living in the Heart of the City by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen late last week, and it has already arrived. Autographed and everything! I couldn't be happier.
I just have to take a second and say thank you to the World's Greatest Aunt (mine of course)! Thank you, I couldn't have gotten the book without your generous help.

At the time that I was reading Chelsea Green's Food NOT Lawns, someone had lent me their copy of The Urban Homestead. In all honesty, I hadn't done more than flipped through the book before I returned it. I have this horrible habit of forgetting who a borrowed book belongs to and/or never returning it. This habit makes me leery of letting anyone lend me anything, and I tend to return it as quickly as I can. I had added the book to my 'wish list' though.

I stumbled across Home Grown Evolution's website, they are on facebook as well, and saw the book just waiting for me to order it. I love rediscovered treasures.

This is a most awesome book! Of all the books I have poured over on homesteading the last few years, this one has the most simple clear information on just about every topic us 'hopeful urban homesteaders' could need. Composting, beekeeping, cycling, canning, baking and cooking, city livestock, and a ton more. Recipes for cleaning supplies included. It has excellent illustrations - which, with my cognitive impairment from the brain-blood-flow issues, really helps me. The reassurance I find in the voice of this book is so encouraging.

There are a few books that I really love, and The Urban Homestead is now on that list.
The other two are The Seed Savers Guide and Make It Don't Buy It (I will add the authors and ISBN later on). Two gardening books that are nearly always in my backpack are: Nevada Gardener's Guide by Linn Mills (ISBN 0789172000987) and Month by Month Gardening in the Deserts of Nevada by Mary Irish (ISBN 9781591863847).

Next on the wishlist is an autographed copy of Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn by Fritz Haeg ;D One can always dream, right?

Do you have a book that you refer back to again and again, or that you always keep handy, that changed your life, or that you just plain love?
Please share in the comments.


Best Regards,

Mojave Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment